Sunday 16 August 2009

Tea is the answer to everything

'let's have a cup of tea'

I wonder how many of the world's greatest decisions have followed that statement?

Some people don't get my tea obsession. My closest friends do. Coming from solid Northern stock meant that I grew up with tea. I still find it weird to meet adults who 'don't drink hot drinks'.... Er, what?

I've been drinking tea for literally longer than I can remember. It's the drink you have in times of not knowing what else to do. Someone's received some bad news, had their heart broken, had a crap day at work, is in shock, comes over to your house- what do you do? You put the kettle on.

It's the stuff of rituals. Afternoon tea, first thing in the morning, when you arrive back from holiday.

It's the drink of sympathy and comfort, the apology after a row, the breaking of the ice in an awkward social situation.

Then one must consider the tea itself. I'm a fan of old school simple mainstream teabags. And it has to be strong. And as a tea purist, I find the notion of sugar in tea a weird and unnecessary addition. You can't taste the tea!

I'm all for herbal tea too. Little pick me ups throughout the day, soothing after dinner tea and the not-very-pleasant-tasting-but-swear-it's-doing-me-good detox blend I like to rely on after one too many glasses of wine the evening before.

It's a different culture to coffee. I love coffee with the best of them and must have a huge cup of strong filter coffee in my hand as I enter the office daily, but coffee culture is, well, a bit poncey. Don't get me wrong, I'm a trained Barista and love the satisfaction you get from making the perfect espresso that bubbles through the La Spaziale machine in exactly 20 seconds with a perfect crema on it's glossy surface, and there is nothing like the smell of coffee brewing.

But tea is classless. I bet the Queen drinks the same sort of tea as your local builder. What is so annoying about coffee chains is that you become one of those people who orders a 'skinny wet latte mocha choca frappucino, soy and extra shot, hold the whipped cream ya?' I've got a friend who refuses to enter Starbucks on the basis that she feels like a twat ordering 'special coffees' and is too intimidated to even ask for a 'normal coffee' because the staff invariably shoot you a withering look like you're some sort of outsider to the American overpriced cafe culture, and ask 'do you mean an Americano?'

Saying this, I almost certainly will go and waste a couple of quid on my 'venti drip to go with hot milk' tomorrow morning; but not until I've started off the day at home getting ready in the right and proper way: with a big mug of strong Yorkshire tea.

Now I need a blend suitably soporific to wind my mind down for bed. Lavender and camomile, anyone?

Ooooo, be a love and put the kettle on.


-- Post From My iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment