Saturday 30 January 2010

A Change is as Good as a Rest


January's been a bit mental really. I've taken a big step and resigned from a job that's basically been my life for two years, to go and face a fresh creative challenge. I am nervous, sad, excited and filled with anticipation. And vaguely worried - what if they don't like tea or swearing?


It's a timely change, as The Blonde and Grumpy Scot are also moving on to new challenges, and as well as being a big joint celebration this weekend, it's also a double birthday whammy. There was never any choice but to party in Edinburgh this weekend. It's the weekend that marks the beginning of the next era.

The partying began last night with the final end of month drinks for me. I had to be a bit sensible though and come home to pack. No'rn Ir'on, not so much. After falling through my bedroom door at 5am, mumbling "wrong room" and bouncing off the walls to get to her own room, I went to the bathroom. I immediately trip over her massive handbag, dumped inside the front door, along with her shoes, book and various other possessions strewn around the hallway.

My towel is in the shower for some reason, there's cash on the bathroom shelf and it generally looks like it's been used by a very drunk person. I think this is the extent of it, until I leave the flat to get to the train station. I find the front door open with her key in the outside lock still, and some more of her possessions in our communal stairwell. Brilliant.

I'm now safely on the train rattling through the lovely Yorkshire countryside lit by the winter sun and listening to Oddblood, the new Yeasayer album. Very good record. Looking forward to a reunion with two of my best friends in the world who have shared a journey with me including a LOT of tea, even more creative swearing, laughter and tears. (Mainly mine, Grumpy Scot has witnessed a few 'tired and emotional' scenes from me. Including when I left Canterbury where I sobbed uncontrollably for three hours like a mental. But we had been drinking cocktails all evening so I don't take responsibility for this.)

Right, onto Wild Beasts album, and I'm going to seek out the refreshments person in search of tea.

Tea on the train. I'm going to regret this aren't I?

No comments:

Post a Comment